St. Ambrose Family Shelter
St. Ambrose Family Shelter, a residential services site of Catholic Charities, is a homeless shelter located in the Field's Corner section of Dorchester. Our goal is to provide shelter, support and hope for homeless families in transition. Since opening our doors in 1989, we have been home to almost 2,000 people. Our services include, but are not limited to:
- Meeting families’ basic needs by providing food, clothing and shelter. We provide three meals and three snacks a day.
- Preparing families for successful and independent living through formal education and in-house trainings, through referrals to local GED-preparation courses, English classes and Job Readiness programs.
- Ensure that families are immediately set up with child care and/or schooling.
- Offer life skills training in practical areas such as parenting, future planning and budgeting.
- Provide two play spaces , a homework space, library, and playground for families.
- Offer a stabilization program in which we assist families not only with the transition to independent living, but maintaining an independent living situation.
- Staff will provide needed information and referrals to other services upon the transition to permanent housing. All families are referred to St. Ambrose by the Department of Transitional Assistance.
Most resident children attend Boston Public Schools in order to maintain a sense of continuity and stability in their lives. Volunteers from Horizons for Homeless Children serve as mentors, engaging children in homework, study groups, guided activities and play time. Supportive services such as counseling are provided to families on an as needed basis so they can concentrate on locating housing and becoming self-sufficient. Residents meet weekly with the Family Advocate to help them stay focused and organized, as well as with a Housing Advocate and Stabilization Advocate as required. Former residents may also use the many other services provided by Catholic Charities, including Basic Needs Services such as food and utility assistance, child care, and education and training.
For more information, call (617) 288-7675.
If you are interested in becoming a regular volunteer at St. Ambrose contact Horizons for Homeless Children.