Prepare for a career in human services.
Haitian Multi-Service Center | ESOL for Human Services
185 Columbia Road, Dorchester, MA 02121
In the ESOL for Human Services program, you will develop your English speaking skills, learn the language and competencies needed for the human services field (including terminology and methods, motivating and managing client behaviors, maintaining boundaries, and documentation), learn the essentials of the field, and gain significant experience in personal interaction with disadvantaged populations through an internship program.
Students will develop a career plan and progress on a daily basis through individual and group assignments.
Paving a road to employment and possible advancement for its qualified ESOL students, HMSC will prepare qualified job candidates to fill entry-level positions at human services agencies located through Greater Boston.
- English language learner (Level 2 and up)
- Possess a high school diploma from the student’s country of origin or the United States, or a General Education Development diploma (GED)
- Complete the program application and interview process
- Submit a CORI request (background check)
- Acquire a valid Massachusetts driver’s permit or license by the end of the program cycle (preferred)
- Obtain or possess a social security card by the end of the program cycle
- Be 18 years of age or older
Working in partnership with local human services organizations, HMSC will secure internship opportunities and ensure the human services course content will be current and relevant to the needs of the direct service entry-level employees at their agencies. As a result, program graduates become qualified entry-level job candidates with specific knowledge of human services language and possess greater opportunity of obtaining employment.