Find Help

Catholic Charities assists tens of thousands of people each year. We help to move our clients from crisis to stability to self-sufficiency. Below please find some FAQs about our services.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are your rates for interpreter and translation services?

Oral interpretation rates are hourly and based on interpreter availability and language. Written translations are priced per document depending on word count, language, complexity, format, and deadline. Translated documents have included Individualized Education Plans (IEPs), brochures, employee handbooks,and birth certificates. We will need to view the document to prepare a price quote. Please call 617-464-8100 or e-mail for more specific rate information.

How can I become an interpreter?

Please send your resume to or call 617-464-8100. We will then schedule an interview with you based on our need and your background.

How do I find child care? Can I use your services as a private paying parent?

Absolutely. Our child care centers are a mix of private and financially assisted families. We pride ourselves in being a multicultural, multilingual and a socioeconomically diverse community. Learn more about our child care here.

How do I get financial assistance for child care?

The Department of Early Education and Care (EEC) provides financial assistance to eligible families seeking care at early education and care or out of school time programs. Families must generally meet income and activity requirements to be eligible for EEC financial assistance. Due to limited funding,eligible families may be placed on the EEC waiting list for financial assistance until funding becomes available. Please visit the EEC website here:

Can you help me with food assistance?

Catholic Charities operates five food pantries in Dorchester, the South End of Boston, Brockton, Lowell and Somerville. Please see our basic needs page for location details.

I am homeless. How do I find shelter?

Catholic Charities operates five shelters across Eastern Massachusetts.

  • Our two family shelters are filled by referral from the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). You can view the Emergency Assistance Housing Field Offices here and eligibility requirements here. Currently DHCD staff is working remotely and the housing field office may be accessed through the DHCD Remote Access Line at 1-866-584-0653.

  • Catholic Charities operates an emergency women’s shelter in Somerville.  St. Patrick's Shelter for Homeless Women houses 30 women in emergency beds on a night-by-night basis. For more information, please call (617) 628-3015.

  • Catholic Charities operates a treatment shelter program for women in Newton. Referrals come through the Bureau of Substance Abuse Services (BSAS).

  • Catholic Charities operates Brigid’s Crossing Shelter for Young Mothers in Lowell is filled by referrals from the Department of Children and Families (DCF).

Do you have classes to help me get my GED?

Please visit our education page to learn about our programs.

Could you tell me about your nursing assistance program. How much does it cost and how do I sign up?

Currently we offer the nurse assistant/home health aide program in South Boston. Due to COVID-19, Brockton's program is temporarily closed but will reopen soon.Please visit their web page for additional details.

I am new to this country and would like to learn English, how do I enroll in an ESOL program?

Please call the ESOL program near you to learn about your options and how to enroll.